Monday, June 29, 2009

The Skeleton Girl

I can no longer play; i've grown older, and ill. The people of the Courtyard in Edenwraith no longer gather beneath my verandah windows, holding their breath lest they miss a single beat of my tunes... It has been some months since i first became ill, only a manner of weeks since i last touched the pearlstone and obsidian keys.

"Madam, please, your court requests you play once again," a servant girl pleaded. I held a moist cloth to my lips, which had become cracked and red from my sickness.

"Tell the courts to wait; for is not health more important than entertainment?"

The girl only bowed her head and retreated from the room. I eyed my lunch tray idly; a rosy apple, thick broth, wholesome bread and some meat, probably deer or rabbit. I dipped my thin finger into the soup and tasted it; many herbs and spices played across my palate, making my dry skin flush. I gently picked up the tray and emptied its contents into the rubbish chute. Closing my eyes and folding my fingers, i sat down on my bed. I wept.

No comments:

Post a Comment